Pb Udaan Scheme or Punjab Free Sanitary Napkin Scheme 2021 has been announced by the Chief Minister Charanjit Singh Channi. In this Muft Sanitary Pad Yojana, govt. will provide free sanitary pads to women every month. Udaan Yojana is an ambitious menstrual hygiene scheme which has been started by Punjab government to benefit around 13.65 lakh women every month. Each of the needy women beneficiary will get free sanitary napkins through all anganwadi centres. In this article, we will tell you about the complete details of the Sanitary Napkins Scheme in Punjab for schoolgirls.
Udaan – Punjab Free Sanitary Napkin Scheme 2021
The main objective of Punjab Free Sanitary Napkin Scheme 2021 is to enable free distribution of sanitary napkins to women. Punjab Udan Scheme is an attempt to normalize public debates about menstrual hygiene. Udaan is a good initiative of the government because menstrual hygiene is right of every women. Congress government in Punjab announced on 22 December 2021 (Monday) to start Udaan Scheme for providing free sanitary pads to women in need. Free sanitary napkins will be provided to needy women every month at all 27,314 Anganwadi centres across the state under the Udaan Scheme.
Menstrual Hygiene Awareness through Muft Sanitary Pad Yojana
This Punjab Free Sanitary Napkin Scheme will also help raise the awareness about the need for menstrual hygiene. Muft Sanitary Pad Yojana is the battle for last mile menstrual hygiene in Punjab. Along with the Free Sanitary Napkin Scheme, the government will conduct awareness camps in various schools for boys to create a healthy mindset on menstruation in the opposite sex. The government will also make sanitary pads easily accessible to the girls in the high schools and colleges.
Launch of Free Sanitary Napkins Scheme in Punjab
Social Security and Women and Child Development Minister Razia Sultana had launched the scheme at Malerkotla recently. Sultana said that several initiatives have been taken by the government to empower women in Punjab. She added that 9 sanitary pads per month will be provided for free to needy females at all the Anganwadi Centers in Punjab. Sultana also asserted that the state government is taking up efforts to increase the female sex ratio in the state.
Punjab Udaan Yojana is necessary because “Out of the women-related diseases happening in the state, 60% are due to non-adherence to menstrual hygiene. Keeping all these things in mind, the Udaan scheme is an innovative initiative of the government of Punjab. A total of 13.65 lakh women b/w the age of 10 to 45 years will be benefitted through Pb Udaan scheme. On such a large scale, this is a unique initiative of Punjab in the country itself.”
1st Phase of Punjab Free Sanitary Pad Scheme
In the first phase, over 50 women are being covered at each Anganwadi Centre and sanitary pads would be given to 13.65 lakh beneficiaries each month. A total of 1.23 crore pads will be distributed under Punjab Free Sanitary Pad Scheme.
Punjab Free Sanitary Napkin Scheme Coverage
The new Punjab Free Sanitary Napkin Scheme would cover the following category of women:-
- School drop-outs
- Out-of-school girls
- Young women not attending college
- Women from BPL families
- Homeless women
- Residents of slum areas
- Women who are not availing free or subsidised sanitary pads under any scheme of other departments.
An amount of Rs 40.55 crore per annum will be incurred on the Free Sanitary Napkins Scheme, called Udaan Yojana. To encourage adolescent girls and women to use sanitary napkins as well as to create a conducive environment to bring awareness related to their dignity, safety, and menstruation, a special campaign will be organised.
Implementation of Menstrual Hygiene Scheme for Women
The Department of Women and Child Development, Punjab will be the nodal agency for the Udan scheme. The purpose of Pb Free Sanitary Napkin Scheme is to spread awareness about menstrual hygiene, improve accessibility to basic products and promote better standard of living. It is a women-oriented scheme aimed at improving the quality of life, enhance their self esteem and ensure safe disposal of sanitary pads.
On the launch ceremony of Punjab Free Sanitary Napkins Scheme, 1 lakh packets of sanitary pads were distributed at 1,500 online locations as well as at other Anganwari centres in the state. A state level task force, comprising senior officers of various departments, has been constituted to monitor the overall progress and smooth implementations of the scheme. Every month, the government-approved empanelled laboratories would conduct quality testing of sanitary napkins, she said.
Objectives of Punjab Free Sanitary Napkin Scheme
Menstruation is a natural process and most of the previous governments shy on this topic. Punjab govt. has launched this Menstrual Hygiene Scheme (MHS) in which 13.65 lakh women between the age group of 10 to 45 years of age can avail the benefits of this Rajasthan Muft Sanitary Pad Yojana. The state govt. has started this Free Sanitary Napkins Scheme in Rajasthan for the following reasons:-
- To spread awareness about hygiene and to promote sanitary napkins distribution among women.
- To increase access to and use of high quality sanitary napkins to adolescent girls in rural areas.
- To ensure safe disposal of sanitary pads in an environmentally friendly manner.
By using sanitary napkins, women can be prevented from various menstrual hygiene related diseases.
Salient Features of Punjab Free Sanitary Pads Scheme
The important features and highlights of Punjab Free Sanitary Napkin Scheme:-
- These sanitary pads will remain available in packets priced absolutely free.
- These affordable sanitary napkins are easy to dispose which will help in keeping environment clean.
- Biodegradable pads are of high quality and will promote Swachhta, Swasthya and Suvidha for poor women.
- This scheme will promote menstrual hygiene, provide huge relief to the girls and women and will result in Women Empowerment.
- Punjab Free Sanitary Napkin Scheme is a major initiative towards Waste to Wealth Management.
- Approx. 13.65 lakh women in the age group of 10 to 45 years can take benefits of this Health Scheme.
- The state govt. has made budgetary provision for Menstrual Hygiene Scheme (MHS). Govt. will distribute sanitary napkins and spread hygiene message among women.
- As per Nation Family Health Survey report (2015-16), only 55% women (15-45 years) are using hygiene protection methods during their menstrual periods.
- In urban areas, situation is slightly better in comparison to rural areas. Around 78% of women in urban areas and 50% of women in rural areas uses sanitary napkins, locally prepared pads and tampons as hygiene methods.
- As per the Survey reports, 45% women between 15 to 24 years in the state are at higher risk of getting exposed to menstrual hygiene related diseases.
- Such women can be exposed to fungal infection, urinary tract infection, reproductive tract infection and other health diseases.
In order to prevent women from menstrual related diseases, Punjab govt. has announced Muft Sanitary Pad Yojana.