Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has launched Swachh Survekshan 2021. Central govt. has launched this program under Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) to focus on sustainability of initiatives and also encourage large scale participation of citizens. Swachh Survekshan 2021 Ranking List of states performing better would be released soon. In 2021, Swachh Survekshan state rankings has been announced by President Ram Nath Kovind on 20 November 2021 under the survey to be measured based on their fund utilization and support to respective local bodies.
Every year, Swachh Survekshan is redesigned innovatively to ensure the process becomes more robust with focus on sustaining the behaviour change. This is the 6th edition of the annual cleanliness survey and the exercise this year focuses on wastewater treatment and other parameters. This Swachh Bharat Survey is conducted across all cities and towns across the country. Swachh Survekshan focuses on garbage free and open defecation free cities.
What is Swachh Survekshan 2021
Swachh Survekshan is an annual survey of cleanliness, hygiene and sanitation in cities and towns across India. It was launched as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, which aimed to make India clean and free of open defecation by 2nd October. The first survey was undertaken in 2016 and covered 73 cities; by 2020 the survey had grown to cover 4242 cities and was said to be the largest cleanliness survey in the world.
In a bid to scale up the coverage of the ranking exercise and encourage towns and cities to actively implement mission initiatives in a timely and innovative manner, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) is now in the process of conducting the sixth edition of the survey to rank all cities under Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U) with Quality Council of India (QCI) as its implementation partner.
Objectives of Swachh Survekshan Abhiyan
The main objectives of conducting Swachh Survekshan survey are as follows:-
- Encourage large scale citizen participation.
- Ensure sustainability of initiatives taken towards garbage free cities.
- Provide credible outcomes which would be validated by third party certification.
- Ensure sustainability of initiatives taken towards open defecation free cities.
- Institutionalize existing systems through online processes.
- Create awareness amongst all sections of society.
- Importance of working together towards making towns and cities more habitable and sustainable.
- Foster a spirit of healthy competition amongst towns and cities.
- Improve service delivery to citizens and move towards creating cleaner cities.
MoHUA & QCI will conduct intensive virtual interactions with States and ULBs to familiarize them with various facets of the survey such as survey methodology, survey process and indicators, amongst others, while also clarifying their expectations from the survey.
Swachh Survekshan 2021 Ranking List
President Ram Nath Kovind crowns Indore in Madhya Pradesh with the “Swachhata Ka Taaj” by President Ram Nath Kovind at the ‘Swachh Amrit Mahotsav’ function organised by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) at Vigyan Bhawan in Delhi. The city has clinched India’s cleanest city title for the fifth time in a row. Gujarat’s Surat and Andhra Pradesh’s Vijaywada grabbed the second and third positions respectively.
Swachh Survekshan is an annual survey of cleanliness, hygiene and sanitation in cities and towns across the country. It was launched in 2016 as part of the Centre’s Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, which aims to make India clean and free of open defecation. A total of 4,320 cities were covered in Swachh Survekshan 2021, the sixth edition of the survey, making it the world’s largest urban cleanliness survey.
Chhattisgarh is India’s cleanest state
In the latest edition, Chhattisgarh has been ranked as the cleanest state in the country. Surat and Vijayawada also received ‘Five Star’ certification under Star Rating Protocol of Garbage Free Cities, a SMART framework introduced in 2018 by MoHUA to holistically evaluate cities across waste management parameters.
Varanasi is cleanest Ganga town
Varanasi received the first position in the cleanest Ganga town category while Ahmedabad cantonment has been adjudged as the cleanest cantonment in the country. Vita in Maharashtra got the award for the cleanest city with under one lakh population, and the state’s Lonawala grabbed the second spot in this category.
“The success of this year’s survey can be gauged through the unprecedented number of citizen feedback received this year — over 5 crore, a marked increase from last year’s 1.87 crore. The 2021 edition was conducted in record time of 28 days despite several on-ground challenges owing to the COVID pandemic,” read an official statement.
How Cities are Ranked for Swachh Survekshan Awards
Now the question arises that “How the Cities are Ranked in Swachh Survekshan 2021“, here we will answer this question.
Part 1: Service Level Progress (SLP) – Data provided by ULBs
Part 2: Certification – Based on GFC Star rating, ODF+/ODF++/Water+
Part 3: Based on GFC Star rating, ODF+/ODF++/Water+ – It includes 5 components namely Feedback, engagement, experience, Swachhta app, Innovation
Part 4: Final Score – Cities are ranked based on marks obtained from Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3
Swachh Survekshan Toolkit PDF Download
Here is the process to download Swachh Survekshan Toolkit in PDF format:-
STEP 1: Firstly visit the official website at https://swachhsurvekshan2021.org/
STEP 2: At the homepage, scroll over the “SS2021 Toolkit” present in the header and then click at the “SS2021 Survey Toolkit” link.
STEP 3: Afterwards, the Swachh Survekshan 2021 Toolkit PDF will open as shown below:-
Swachh Survekshan 2021 Vote For Your City – Citizen Feedback
Swachh Survekshan 2021 Citizen feedback submissions closed. The link was https://swachhsurvekshan2021.org/CitizenFeedback%2c
Swachh Survekshan 2021 is conducted by The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), Government of India, covering all cities across India between January 1st – 31st March, 2021. One important component of Swachh Survekshan is getting your feedback on the progress made by your city in achieving SWACHHATA within your city of residence and your neighborhood. On behalf of the Ministry, we would like to appreciate your thoughts and time taken out to give your feedback. Your inputs will make Swachh Survekshan 2021 a success.
Check Citizen Feedback Summary – https://swachhsurvekshan2021.org/CitizenFeedback%2c/StateWiseSummary
Salient Features of Swachh Survekshan
As in the previous Swachh Survekshan 2020, MoHUA lay emphasis on ensuring sustainability of the sanitation value chain. The Swachh Survekshan 2021 indicators will focus on parameters pertaining to wastewater treatment and reuse along with faecal sludge. Moreover, there would be a new category of awards namely Prerak Daaur Samman as part of Swachh Survekshan 2021. The Central govt. has launched SS 2021 on 3 July 2020. The important features and its progress till date to specify Swachh Survekshan importance is mentioned here:-
- Over five years into the Mission, govt. has made significant strides as Urban India is today completely ODF.
- For Solid Waste Management (SWM) which stood at a mere 18% at the start of the Mission in 2014, has more than tripled and now stands at 66%.
- It would be no exaggeration to say that a key motivation for states and cities to work towards these outcomes has been the framework of Swachh Survekshan, the annual cleanliness survey introduced by MoHUA in 2016.
- From only 73 cities participating in SS 2016 to a pan India coverage of 4242 cities and 62 Cantonment Boards in SS 2020. It is a testament to the ownership that both Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) and citizens have taken when it comes to striving for cleaner, healthier and thus more livable cities.
- The SS 2021 indicators focus on parameters pertaining to wastewater treatment & reuse along with faecal sludge. Similarly, the crucial issues of legacy waste management & remediation of landfills has also been brought to fore in this edition of Survekshan.
- A major focus of Swachh Survekshan has always been on citizen engagement. This year, the citizen-centric focus has been enhanced substantially as marks will be allotted for innovations led by citizens & their contribution city’s solid waste management.
- MoHUA has signed Engagement and Coordination Arrangement with USAID India for cooperation in the field of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH).
- Swachh Survekshan has been made completely digital since the past three years. Swachh Bharat Mission has now 15 in-house & 10 third party applications which have been developed and are currently running for SwachhBharatGov.
The achievements garnered by SBM(U) in not only building capacity of ULBs butvia various citizen led networks. These will prove to be key tools in preparing for such a public health crisis in the future.
Swachh Survekshan Login Link – https://swachhsurvekshan2021.org/User/Login
Prerak Daaur Samman
The Prerak Daaur Samman has 5 additional sub categories which are as follows:-
1) Divya (Platinum)
2) Anupam (Gold)
3) Ujjwal (Silver)
4) Udit (Bronze)
In each of the above mentioned category, top 3 cities would be recognized who will be eligible for Prerak Daaur Samman.
Cities Categorise Indicators
The survey will categorise cities on the basis of 6 indicator-wise performance criteria, which are as follows:-
A) Segregation of waste into wet, dry and hazard categories.
B) Processing capacity against wet waste generated.
C) Processing and recycling of wet and dry waste.
D) Construction & demolition (C&D) waste processing.
E) Percentage of waste going to landfills.
F) Sanitation status of cities.
The 2018 SS cleanliness survey, which became the world’s largest cleanliness survey had ranked 4,203 cities. The Swachh Survekshan 2019 which not only covered 4,237 cities but was also the first-of-its-kind completely digital survey completed in a record time of 28 days. The ministry said that Swachh Survekshan 2020 had seen an unprecedented participation of 1.87 crore citizens.